Tuesday, February 23

Bargain Shopping

I click over to the big auction house websites every so often to dream window shop. I almost always head straight for the deals first. This is how I shop for practically everything. I love a good deal.

Most of the time the works in lower price points are unknown or unnamed drawings by lesser known artists. But, every once in a while you'll find a gem. For example, I could pawn off my husband's beloved giant TV and bid on this original watercolor by Louis Comfort Tiffany (yes, that Tiffany) at the upcoming Christie's Fine American Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture Auction in New York:

Dogwood Branch by Louis Comfort Tiffany
Watercolor and pencil on paper affixed to board
Owned by a private collector, offered by Christie's
$2,000-$3,000 estimate

I'm not going to because I like having a TV and a happy husband. Plus, I can think of a hundred other things I would rather blow two grand on. But, I do think it is cool that something like this occasionally comes within reach of regular people. Someone out there is going to get a deal on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment